<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.thefairytalenerd.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Fairytale Nerd: Book Recap: Half Blood by Jennifer Armentrout

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Book Recap: Half Blood by Jennifer Armentrout

Cover Inspection:
Hmm..
Not a fan of the cover. 

SUMMARY (book description based on GoodReads):The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

BOOK REPORT CARD:

Cover
2.5
Plot
3.5
Writing
3.5
Characters
3.5
Ending
3.5
Overall Rating

3.5
Superior!
(93% to 96%)
* highest rating possible is 4.0



LOCATION/SETTING:
Modern day. The Covenant in North Carolina.

MAIN CHARACTERS:
The main character is Alex. She is a half blood - a child of a Hematoi and a mortal. She is one KICK ASS HEROINE. She is no damsel in distress, that's for sure! She's snarky, hard-headed, and talkative... well... born to be a warrior.

WHAT THE BOOK IS ABOUT:
Alex's mother was killed by a Daimon. Good thing she was found by the devastatingly sexy pure blood Aiden. With no mother and an absentee father, she has nowhere to go except back to the Covenant (where she was taken from in the first place, by her mother). Back in the Covenant, her uncle declared that she was behind her classmates and was about to make her a slave, but Aiden rescued her from this fate. He took it upon himself to train Alex to allow her to catch up with her studies. Alex and Aiden get to know each other better, and find themselves falling for each other. But there is one big problem: there is a rule against pure and half-blood mixing. To complicate things further, Seth, THE Apollyon, arrived in the Covenant, and there is this inexplicable electricity between them. Oh! And there's the Daimon problem... they might be after Alex.

LOVE:
This book is such a pleasure to read. It has everything: action, comedy, mystery, and romance. What more can you ask for? I can go on and on about how fun this book is, but I think it would be so much better if you just grab the book and start reading NOW. Anyway, I especially loved the part about Apollyons - it remains a mystery to me what Alex and Seth can do together (or with each other).

NO LOVE:
I devoured the book. I loved every chapter, every word. So, I guess the thing I hated about this book is that it ended too soon. Me. Want. Sequel. Now.

FAVORITE CHARACTER:
Alex, naturally. She's tough - a fighter through and through. But deep inside, she is such a girl - she practically swooned everytime Aiden looked at her (not that I'm complaining... I loved reading those scenes). And gawd... I loved their training sessions.

FAVORITE LINE:
"...you’re so tan I thought you were a leather chair.”"
MUSINGS:
I can see why people would compare this book to the Vampire Academy. It's true that there are similarities. But it's really not fair to compare. By itself, the book is really entertaining. The characters are funny. The action scenes are fantastic. The romance is sizzling. I think that people should give this book a chance. They might be surprised at how this book will grab them from the first word, and will not let go until the last.

DOODLES:


AUTHOR'S WEBSITE:
Jennifer Armentrout

SIMILAR READS:
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow

CONTENT REVIEW:
profanity: moderate
violence: moderate
sexual content: moderate
mature themes: moderate
age recommendation: 14+


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home